Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Is this my career?

My son called to say he had to stay after school to complete an interview, then stayed up late transcribing the info in order to make a poster. Turned out the interview was about geology and it was for his careers class.  I asked if he had an interest in geology but he said no, there had just been a limited availability of interviewees.  I said what about my career and he just rolled his eyes.

Wait a minute.

I never thought about this, though I’m sure lots of other people have.  There’s plenty of writing around about the worthiness of being a full-time parent in lieu of a paid work, if we’re so lucky to have a co-parent whose job can pay the bills, but we are never ever invited to talk to the class about our career.  What would the kid wear if they wanted to dress up as a trailing spouse for career day?

I never intended to check the “housewife” box –to be the primary caregiver for the kids and to cook most of our meals. I didn’t ever consider it when I was growing up and people asked me what I wanted to be when I was an adult. It’s not the actual work of parenting and home-making that I don’t like. What bugs me is my own expectation, supported by my education, media, and peers, that I ought to be doing something else. 

I’ve been talking with a friend lately about her impending return to full-time work and her concerns that she will not be spending enough time anymore with her three young children. I have encouraged her, saying that it’s fine for kids to see her working. There are a lot of ways to raise kids and a lot of ways that they will turn out fine. I think it’s most detrimental to them for their parent to be dissatisfied with how their life is turning out. I’ve spent years being dissatisfied, just perpetuating the message that not having a career outside my home leads to frustration and resentment. It’s not the example that I want to be.

Do I need to package it up to make it worthy in my eyes? My kids eyes? It’s hard to say how I’d want to promote this lifestyle as a career anyway, since it seems like it is a very dependent and vulnerable position. I tried putting all the pieces together of everything that I do and turning it into a positive spin description: joining forces with someone who you enjoy and explore the world together, open to possibilities, home-making in the most creative and challenging sense, as home changes every few years, exploring new cultures and cities, forming friendships around the world until it’s impossible to go to a place where you know no one. Learning to drive in all kinds of circumstances- how to dodge rickshaws and drive on the left (Dhaka), avoid hitting cyclists and spaced out pedestrians and to parallel park a minivan into a tiny space on a near-vertical street (San Francisco), and I will spare you another rant about Doha traffic. It sounds good for a minute, but I didn't try it out on the kids. 

Message is, you are going to school in order to be a person who gets paid money for the work you do. Staying home is a fall back. None of this is good for a trailing spouse’s self-esteem, no matter how hard he or she works at helping kids adjust to a new country and culture, learning his or her way around town and dealing with medical care, maintenance, procurement of everything from groceries to gas bottles to smoke detectors. There are even a lot of perks, including being able to be available to my kids during our major moves, take art classes, walk around Doha, all the way to the most mundane, like being able to grocery shop on weekday mornings.

There are a lot of memes out there saying live your dream, follow your passion but that’s not realistic for all of us, or at least it can’t be an instant fix. Qatar is a prime example of this- the millions of migrant workers here are not living their dreams, in fact some of them would likely describe it as more nightmare, though I have met people who have made it work- earning money here has enabled them to build houses, educate children, and start businesses in their home countries.  Others are lucky to make it home alive.

I went to college and then grad school and then started having kids. When the first two were big enough to be in school full time I got jobs at a couple of international kindergartens in Hanoi but then the third one came along and I stopped working again. here.

Last summer I worked full-time at a camp and I think I was a better parent than I had been in a long time. I still was primary parent for them because my husband had stayed in Doha. I loved it and I wrote about it

This story doesn’t have an end. I’m not done thinking about it, not done working on it. I love it when I have a job that challenges me and lets me use my skills and work with interesting people. I also love having the freedom to design my whole day, explore, make art, cook, and spend time with kids. I know I’m very lucky to have the time and resources to sit around thinking and writing about the subject.



10 comments:

  1. Generations in the future will look back and wonder at this idea that we should have a "career". What a shame we can't just live life in whatever way it comes to us - some of us luckier than others. What a shame we can't just do what we do without feeling guilt or resentment or all those other over-whelming feelings chucked at us by the "you-can-have-it-all" message of the Cosmopolitan generation. One day I suspect the idea of starting work at a certain age and doing a certain job and continuing to do it throughout your life will be considered very abnormal. Maria, you might not have a "career" but you certainly have a life, an amazing one, someone who has seen amazing things and been to amazing places and has so many amazing tales to tell. I think that is worth a thousand "careers". PS I do know exactly how you feel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clara! You've got a good point. I think career, as in staying in one profession, may continue to work for certain people but other options will become more acceptable- multiple professions, with breaks for further education, even patience with working at something that we are not passionate about until something else becomes available.

      Delete
  2. When asked what my 8 year old daughter wants to be when she grows up, she says, "a mom." Everyone who hears it thinks it's so sweet that she wants to be just like me, but part of me dies each time I hear it. I want her to know, really know, that she can be anything she wants to be, but I also want her to know that being lucky enough to stay home with her (and her brother) is also very valuable. I had at least 3 "careers" or "professions" and many more "jobs" before I had kids and became a stay-at-home mom. But she doesn't know that "me". I really hope I can find a job that will challenge me, let me be intellectually stimulated, show my kids that women are valuable in the workplace, as well as be flexible enough to be there for my kids. The US culture isn't so great at providing those opportunities. So, I know just how you feel, except I don't have the stimulation, excitement, and tremendous challenges of living in Doha. I live just 30 miles from where I grew up.

    Keep thinking and writing and creating. I love to read your thoughts and see your photos/drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy! When my older daughter was six she was determined to be an artist and a farmer so she could stay home, which I think she got from something at school- a very different school than the one they all attend now. It's a tricky play to do what you need to do for yourself and also set the example you want to your kids- ideally that is the same thing but it's hard to be the example you want when you're not where you want to be at. Generally the less I worry about it the better it goes but I think it's still worthwhile to keep making an effort to make progress in this conundrum.

      Delete
  3. I actually did grow up wanting to be a stay at home Mum. I knew I couldn't do it when I left school obviously so I worked really hard at my career in Advertising and PR until the right man came along and I was lucky to be able to be a stay at home mum. I lasted 2 years before going back to work, then stopping and starting again. I think I've now found the right balance but sometimes I think it would be nice to not work again. I'm lucky that I can work at home and still do the school run. I know so many women are judged on going to work or staying at home. My philosophy is do what makes you happy. If staying at home is what you love and you can afford to do it then do it and don't let anyone knock you down because of your choice. The same goes for working mums. I have friends that need to work to keep themselves sane, they are better Mums for working and they have happy families to show for it. I think I'm just over mums constantly feeling the need to judge one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Isn't the main challenge just to find that balance? I think I may have with trailing in the winter and working in the summer, but we'll see how I feel after this second summer working- whether I'm ready to go back to Doha or ready to continue balancing this kind of busy-ness.

      Delete
  4. I have spent time both as a full-time SAHM and a part-time SAHM / part-time teacher. Now I am working full time and moonlighting as a parent - it takes its toll on both jobs. Teaching would be considered my career I suppose, but SAH parenting has been and is, my most important job. Its a tragedy that I don't get paid for it as it is the one that I am most accountable for and with the longest hours (and often the most stressful).

    I loved the part-time combo (half parenting/half teaching) and I am hoping in the near future that I can go back to that situation but with my own business - I like the variety. Woe betide anyone who dares to consider my parenting to not be a job!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Shar! It sounds like you know what works best for you and you're ready to stand up for your choices if anyone should challenge you!

      Delete
  5. Great post! It's always seemed unfair to me that people looked at me askance when I said I didn't have a job, not even part-time, because if I had been caring for somebody else's children, it would have been seen as normal. Part-time is perfectly acceptable here, in fact it's the norm for women. There's been a big push in the Netherlands in the past few years to get women into work so whereas when I had my first child (20 years ago), there were plenty of SAHMs, nowadays house prices are so high that most people can't afford to have only one parent working. Most of the non-expat SAHMs I know now are doing it because of some illness or handicap rather than a commitment to staying with their young children! What am I contributing to society? I've been able to put considerable time and effort into helping at school and helping to run an expat club, and those activities have allowed me to develop all sorts of skills I can use in the world of work. Now my children are older, I can put my language skills to work by translating, whilst combining it with all my interests and hobbies and getting the best of both worlds. None of which stops my husband saying "You do it, you're the housewife!" when something domestic needs doing or my children saying "Nothing" in answer to the question "What does your mum do?" Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly don't get that look when I say I'm not working, but I do get the "of course you're going to be looking for something to do once your youngest is in school full-time." We'll see. That kid-answer of "nothing" when asked what their mother does is the most heart-rending of all, though. They will get it someday. I asked my son this morning if he'd ever consider being a trailing spouse and he said, no, that he would want to pursue things HE was interested in. I probably should have asked him if he would expect his partner to give up career plans for kids and frequent moves, maybe I will tomorrow...

      Delete