Thursday, October 17, 2013

more questions than answers about the Internet and settling in...


We finally moved out of the hotel and into a house!  It’s an enormous relief to have more space and be able to step out the front door into the outdoors, no matter how hot it is.  I haven’t had to get into a car in three days because we can walk from home to a park and a supermarket.  It turned out that we got here just before a major holiday, so many of the people we’ve met so far have left the country for the week or are busy with long-planned activities.  I didn’t plan anything because I was too busy packing and unpacking yet again and arranging to shift carloads full of the debris of five people and two months from a hotel to a house without an address. We were thrilled to discover that like in the last couple of places we’ve lived, the kids in this compound all play out in the street. Unfortunately for me, the mothers don’t spend any time outside, though they’ve been friendly in the moments that our paths have very occasionally crossed.  Most of the men haven’t even said hello to me, though they have chatted with my husband.  I’m craving connection with real people in the same room as me. I think right now I most need to talk to another woman enough like myself that we can make each other laugh. I’m not patient enough to wait for this, so I gravitate to the Internet where I can find news and amusing stories and friends, even though those friends are all out of reach.  

I love the connection and worry that it’s not real enough. It is and it isn’t.  There are moments when I have almost been able to feel the hands of far-away friends on my back, urging me along, ready to steady me if I stumble or crumple.  Then again, how long can I go without having a real conversation with a real (not online) person outside my family before I crack? Facebook has been invaluable for reconnecting with people, and being able to offer some version of support even if we’re not close enough to take someone’s kids for the afternoon or make them dinner. It’s good and easy to be able to click “like” or even write a few words and support them wherever they are, but are we all even more “out of sight (site) out of mind” than we were pre-FB? Are we lost when we don’t post? I'm glad to know I have friends around the world but it can be hard to connect with them for more than the few seconds it takes to interact via FB.  Too expensive to call, to complicated anyway to try to find a time that works for both of us when kids won’t pop up in the back of our Skype-screen, needing us or fighting, piercingly, with each other. 

How does Facebook/e-mail/blogging help or hinder settling in? Does it prevent me from connecting and reflecting on my latest move?  Or is the act of writing and regular feedback helping me to process the experience and create a narrative for myself?  Living in France my junior year in high school, there was no internet and I only made very occasional phone calls back to the US.  I relied upon letters from friends for connection to my previous life.  It was a hard year- how might it have been different if I’d had Internet access and FB had existed? I wrote long letters and longer journal entries as I made sense of my adjustment to living in a small village in the center of France with a very different family from my own. Would internet and the real-time world of e-mail and Facebook have shut me off from new experiences or helped me cope and connect to more people in similar situations? 

I'm asking more than I'm answering but this break will be over soon and group activities for kids will recommence, which will bring opportunities for parents to gather together.  I can hold on. 

12 comments:

  1. As you've learned from your own experiences, the circumstances differ from one situation to another. The fact that you're raising the question indicates you know 'too much' time online (however that is defined) can be used as an excuse to hide away and not engage people in your new place. At the same time, interacting online can be a source of camaraderie and support. For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about it. Your posts reflect that you're trying to meet people in the flesh, but with the home-schooling situation and moving house, you've got a lot going on. Be kind to yourself. As your children meet/play in the neighborhood, get names and numbers and each day call one person and meet for coffee. Eventually you'll find days/times convenient to get together, and at least know your neighbors and hopefully find a friend or two. Once you've applied to the international school and your children have been accepted and you're waiting for spots to open up, see if you can be included in parent organizations and coffee meetings, or let your friends/neighbors know you're open to going along to such activities. People assume you're so busy they might not think to ask unless you say something. Finally, consider using Skype to have face-to-face, in-depth chats with close friends in different countries. Getting the body movements and facial cues adds so much to conversations of the heart. Good luck and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! I think we all ask us this question... Don't be to hard on yourself, give yourself the time settling in. And if you need to Skype or call your "old" friends, do... that's why friends are for. The trap (in my opinion) could be that one "stays in his/her old world" and don't connect to the people where they live now. If you stay to much connected to "your old life", you don't give yourself the chance to settling in to your new one, you're always "in between". I've seen that with some clients who don't really live "far from home" (example: home country=Belgium and they live in Paris) They go back to Belgium every weekend, they feel lost now, not feeling at home in Belgium, not settled in in France... I have the impression you want to connect with the locals and other expats, and that is the right attitude, maybe it will take some time but it will come! I wish you all the best at your new destination!
    I'll post a link to this article in a closed FBgroup, yeh... Facebook again ;-), because I think you share really valuable thoughts here! https://www.facebook.com/groups/580602881983936/
    Karlijn, www.expatpartnersuccess.com

    ReplyDelete