Saturday, September 3, 2016

excuse me, just a tiny glass of repat whine

I’m not an expat anymore.  For the first time I’m experiencing the peace that comes with moving to a once-familiar place I actually want to live in, rather than choosing a job and making the best of the new destination that goes with it. I’ve been longing to live all four seasons in these hills for years now. I thought repatriation would be a cinch. 

Doha was a challenge, to which I had to rise or let it crush me. I did, with plenty of hard work and good company, and it didn’t. I miss it hard. Not in that freshly wrenched way of the first couple of months, all raw and halfway still there in my head, but with an ache that knows I’m probably never going back and probably never going to see most of those people ever again in real life. Social media keeps us connected but nothing replaces random encounters and regular adventures around the city, tea and world-problem-solving in each other’s kitchens, shared hilarity and despair. 

I dress like anyone else and drive an old Subaru Forester. I can pass for a Vermonter at first glance and probably even second, but locals know I’m new to town and ask where did I move from? They expect me to say Tinmouth or Pittsford or maybe something more exotic like Massachusetts or even Virginia but then I say Qatar and the conversation has been efficiently and effectively killed.  I stopped offering it up, but word has probably gotten around the village by now anyway. I know my way around, but I’ve been too long gone to quite remember how I’m supposed to behave and where I’m welcome.


I love where we’ve landed. It’s the green and hills I’ve been missing for years. I love seeing the clear light of New England fall and eating fresh macs for the first time in ten years. It’s just tricky to work on feeling at home and making it home at the same time and I’m lonely for easygoing company.  Cold dark weather looms. I’m envious of my youngest who started at her new school last week and is already planning who will be at her birthday party at the end of the month. I wish we could all be thrown into first grade again upon arrival in a new home. By the second day on the playground who cares where we’ve lived for the past three years, we just need to figure out how to do the most scary trick together on the big swing without getting hurt. 

23 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! I'm an international teacher who came back to the USA one year ago and I haven't found happiness yet. I've decided to go back out there in the world. All the best of luck to you. www.artteachtravel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sweet lady, welcome back. Lovely to read your thoughts . I am having many similar thoughts, but in New York and not newly moved here, but longing for the ease of company and friends coming in and out of the apartment and knowing this will not happen here, though I've been here most of the last 20 years. Been thinking about Maine and Vermont and wondering if moving and starting over would bring me more ease and contact with folk, or if that isn't possible now - that it would take years to build that. I know you know these things, but if there's a community way for you to volunteer, that might help - a co-op, chorus, garden or other venture. I know that theatre has always made quick community for me. Hmmmm.... I hope you find your people there soon. I should be through there sometime in the next few months and look forward to seeing you! Blessings, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! It's mostly about patience. I was starting to think ease of company is simpler in the city, where people are all around, but then you have made me reexamine that. Our easiest times were when we were part of rather condensed neighborhoods, in GA, SF, and Doha, though Doha was tricky because only the neighbor kids spent much time outside, not so much the parents. Definitely stop by on your way through! We can even get you from and to the train in Rutland.

      Delete